Thursday, August 2, 2018

Activity 10 Reflections TamlynG

Activity 10 Reflections about Activity 2


Consider Potential Applications
Tom Dixon works in so many different areas that are foreign to me. I love his early work with the welding. I have done a little jewelry making, so his ideas of using ‘bit n pieces’ appeals to me. ‘Steampunk” comes to mind but in a small version aimed at jewelry.
His ‘balance’ when designing chairs could be used to push the perimeters of my design and artwork, along with of course- colour to which he is reserved but accurate, using the trends for colour but really pushing boundaries. Like the colour of chairs/walls and lampshades in a room. Full on colour!
I love his thought and theory on longevity and how he wants to make items that are anti-fashion, not classics. This is why he maybe was always ahead of the trend, as he sets the trend.
I’d like to take some of his philosophy and believe in what l like and create, without worrying about the fashion and trending.

Reflect on the Research Process
When l first decided on my research focus, I thought-gee l hope l can find enough items and pics! Well yes, l can’t believe how many items and families Tom has created and is still creating. Toms work is all very up market in a simple way. It is marketed to a very large up market group but there is also something for the lower market as well.
The main challenge with my research was not being able to find enough info on items. I need time to read a book he has written called ‘Dixonary’. I would also like to visit his studio in Britain and maybe do some clay work.

Reflect on History, Culture and Art
I think Tom has many connections to art and history as shown through the making of lights fashioned around the Indian water vessel for example. To which l will use more of the ancient art and design in my work as the simple lines and shapes l find amazing!
Toms scheme to help and develop skills in street metal workers in Rajashan is inspirational and l would like to help somewhere at some stage in the future-maybe with my art! His new company to which he is a partner is an experimental company that now takes work in decorating but also inventing new product, from all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment